for pinktober 2011

Oct 22

It’s an awareness . . . and remembrance . . . and prevention . . . and support.  And for the second year in row, Deeba and Jamie over at Mactweets are honoring and supporting Pinktober with Mac Attack #24 Pinktober Macarons.  I am proud to be able to support Pinktober and the National Breast Cancer Awareness Month (NBCAM) by posting my 2011 Pinktober Macarons.

I thought what would be pinkish that would honor and support the awareness of breast cancer.  I decided on raspberries and pomegranates both of which are packed with antioxidants and among the top fruits that increase immunity against some diseases and prevention of certain types of cancer.  And these powerhouse fruits could not go unmatched without . . . dark chocolate–also known for its health benefits and a girl’s best friend.

I wanted to add something special to honor all of the courageous women battling breast cancer.  And if only for a second or a minute or two, these little sparkling gems put a smile on their face, then my heart will rest assure that I have supported Pinktober in my own little way.  So what are these little gems that I wanted to add to my Pinktober Macarons?  Raspberry and Pomegranate Pate de Fruit.   These chewy confections pack intense fruit flavor.  And even better they are sweet and luxurious.

Making these macs I did a few “firsts”–first time making pate de fruit, using hazelnut flour/meal to replace a fraction of the almond flour, and using unblanched almond flour.  The verdict on using the different type of flours–definitely a different taste and texture.  I am still on the fence on the taste of hazelnut macarons, but I did like that the unblanched almond flour yields a more rustic looking macaron.  And the pate de fruit?  Sweet, but in a good way?!  I used some raspberry puree and some pomegranate juice that I reduced down to get a more intense flavor.  It does take awhile to make and it was nerve-wrecking for me stiring the fruit mixture over the hot stove!  But I was equipped with the best recipe and directions from Tartelette.  If you are interested in making your own pate de fruit and getting some “eye candy” from her amazing photographs in the process, then you need to check out her blog.  The post that I adapted for my raspberry/pomegranate pate de fruit was her Strawberry and Rhubarb Pate de Fruit.  Although it is not obvious from my photos, I used a small flower cutter to cut the pate de fruit.

My 2011 Pinktober Macarons: Raspberry Pomegranate Macarons with Dark Chocolate Ganache and Pate de Fruit

And if these don’t put a smile on your face then the fellow below with the dreamy eyes will.  Click on him and it will take you to the Mactweets blog where you will find talented mactweeters honoring Pinktober and supporting the National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

Tagged: , , , , , ,

Comments: 14

1. Bluejellybeans October 22, 2011 at 9:47 am Reply

Thanks Ilovebaking. I love the macarons specially the cause they support.

• ailovebaking October 25, 2011 at 4:41 am Reply

Thank you Giovanna–I wanted to put my heart into this one to support all of those battling breast cancer.

2. Jamie October 23, 2011 at 7:33 am Reply

Gorgeous! Absolutely gorgeous!! Perfect macs and I love the sparkly pate de fruit (which I have to try)! And your flavors must be magnificent together. What a perfect macaron for Pinktober Mac Challenge and thank you so much for baking and sharing.

And as you said “if only for a second or a minute or two, these little sparkling gems put a smile on their face, then my heart will rest assure that I have supported Pinktober in my own little way.” This is beautiful…

• ailovebaking October 25, 2011 at 4:45 am Reply

Thank you Jamie for stopping by and giving all of us Mactweeters an opportunity to show our support for Pinktober. I am glad that by chance I came across Mactweets and looking forward to future challenges.

3. Ali October 23, 2011 at 6:55 pm Reply

looks so gorgeous, great your making macarons for a cause. Love the photo, nice post

• ailovebaking October 25, 2011 at 4:54 am Reply

Thank you Ali for stopping by! I am glad to be able to show my support for Pinktober. Btw, MyFudo is fantastic–I am an instant fan!

4. Lora October 23, 2011 at 11:50 pm Reply

These are just stunning. The flavors are wonderful. I love the pate de fruit addition.

• ailovebaking October 25, 2011 at 5:02 am Reply

Thanks Lora! The pate de fruit was a sweet surprise and for my first time making it much better than I expected : )

5. thelittleloaf October 24, 2011 at 12:39 pm Reply

These are absolutely gorgeous and such a great way to promote the cause. I love the addition of sparkly glitter! I’ll be posting my pink macarons later this weel – just need to get round to writing some words!

• ailovebaking October 25, 2011 at 5:04 am Reply

Hey there Little Loaf! Thanks for stopping by and I also love the sparkly too. I will be eagerly looking out for your Macs : )

6. Karen October 25, 2011 at 7:29 am Reply

Wow, I love the idea of the antioxidant properties of your macarons and the pate de fruit looks amazing – just perfect for pinktober:) Thank you also for visiting my blog and leaving great feedback I really appreciate it:)

7. beyondumami October 25, 2011 at 10:24 pm Reply

yes..these are gorgeous and very pink! Great for the Pinktober Macs :) I tried again with the macarons and made a batch of lemon curd ones lately. They turned out much better and had the feet!! :) Will post soon. Thanks for the encouragement.

8. thelittleloaf October 27, 2011 at 7:06 am Reply

Great support for this wonderful cause and I love the addition of sparkly glitter…celebration and staying positive is the best thing people can do in times of hardship and this post is the perfect light relief :-)

9. Deeba Rajpal (@vindee) November 8, 2011 at 4:16 pm Reply

OMG these are gorgeous, pink macarons at their exotic best, with a combination that stole my heart! That pate de fruit got me …mmmm! Thank you for bringing these beauties to MacTweets and for the Pinktober shout out. i ♥ these macs!!

ai would love to hear from you!