I am in a celebration mode yay! Macarons earlier in the week and today . . . potato chips! March 14 is National Potato Chip Day and I could not pass up on the opportunity to pick up a bag of what I consider “an old forgotten friend”. Prior to our family changing our lifestyle that includes healthy eating, my hubby and I bought a bag (okay maybe even two) of potato chips every week. I crowned my hubby the King of Chips–something that we both look back upon and frown. Nowadays the hubby is the King of Leafy Greens and in the fittest shape of his life. But today, we are welcoming our old friend. I have to say with everything moderation is the key and I am happy to say that although I probably haven’t eaten a single chip in a long while, I was only happy to eat a few today. And bake with them!
I’ve had potato chip cookies in Hawaii awhile back and loved them. It was that combination of sweet and salty that appealed to me, like my other favorite salted caramel. So I decided to take these two flavors and made some Potato Chip Toffee Cookies. Using a simple cookie base, I added crushed sea salt kettle potato chips and toffee chocolate bits. I am not a fan of soft cookies. I love a crisp cookie. These were chewy on the inside but crisp on the outside. Just my type of cookie.
I am happy to announce I had a “guest” photographer help me with this shoot. Thanks to my new bro-in-law, who is also an avid photographer, for helping to snap a few shots which I wouldn’t have been able to take myself. And thanks to my ai daughter who is on Spring Break for being my helper today, and continues to be my biggest fan and critic.
I always tell her to put her hair up when helping me in the kitchen. In the pic below, she’s creaming the butter and sugar : )
See here’s a shot I wouldn’t have been able to take myself. Folding in the potato chips and toffee chocolate bits.
Another great pic that I couldn’t have taken myself–thanks bro!
Look at that potato chip waiting to be baked into all that goodness!
Potato Chip Toffee Cookies
1 c all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 c butter, softened
1/4 c sugar
1/4 c light brown sugar, lightly packed
1/4 c coconut sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 c crushed sea salt kettle potato chips
1 c toffee chocolate bits
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine flour, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla and mix until incorporated.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until it just comes together.
- Fold in crushed potato chips and toffee chocolate bits.
- Drop a tablespoon of dough on prepared cookie sheet, leaving about two inches apart–it will spread.
- Bake for about 12-14 minutes (for crisper cookies leave for the full 14 minutes).
- Remove from cookie sheet and cool on a wire rack.
This recipe will yield around 24 cookies.
Here’s one last look at the star today the potato chip!