edible fashion: high heel cupcakes and make-up and purse cookies

Aug 12

fashion_full_table_logo

I am so excited and somewhat fatigued to share with you this post!  Wait, fatigued?  Yes, but mostly excited.  Before the beginning of Summer, I had promised my daughter that she could have a special party since she got all A’s on her last report card.  Thinking she would forget . . . well let’s just say this post is proof she didn’t forget!  But definitely well-earned.  She’s a good kid and I am proud of all she’s accomplished.

Since I am not yet comfortable hosting a sleep over, we compromised and had an “Almost Sleep Over” party–meaning drop off early morning, pick-up late evening.  Brilliant right?!  Well the theme was even more brilliant until I sat down to think about what to bake.  My daughter is definitely past the princess and little girl stage, but not quite a big girl.  She loves fashion and dare I say is like her Mommy and loves shoes!  Oh well the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.  Speaking of Apple . . . September 10 . . . 5S?  Can’t wait.  Okay back to shoes.  A friend sent me a picture of high heel cupcake and I instantly fell in love.  It doesn’t get any better shoes/cupcakes.  Brilliant idea number 1 . . . hard work ahead!

Then I saw some cute lipstick, nail polish, and purse cookie cutters that I just had to make.  Brilliant idea number 2 . . . hard work x 3!

I’m blaming the fatigue on the hard work I put into making all of the above, which is the reason I am not posting any recipes or step-by-step directions.  This is another photos only post.  However, these were just so darn cute to make that I feel that I have quite a bit to share on what worked and what was a huge disaster.  But for now, please enjoy these photos as much as I had fun making them and photographing them.

I love shoes, but I LOVE purses even more.  Here are the purse cookies I made decorated with royal icing:

bags_logo

These lipstick and nail polish cookies were too cute:

makeup_blog_logo

Each shoe is color and design coordinated to match the cookies.  My daughter and I fondly named each set.

Here is Alayna Posh Purple:

fashion_purple_logo

This one is Gabby Girly Green: fashion_green_logo

And finally Cara Playful Pink:

fashion_pink_logo

To complete the table, I made some last-minute decorations that I thought were adorable!  I had leftover wafer roll cookies that were used for the heels on the cupcake shoes.  With Ball canning jars, ribbon, sprinkles, and the wafer cookies I had instant table decorations.  Aren’t these just perfect?

ball_jar_logo

So I’ve made up my mind, I will have to revisit how I made all of these in a future post or two.  But for now, please enjoy these photos and email me if you have any burning questions.  I’d be happy to answer.

Tagged: , , , , ,

Comments: 20

1. Val August 13, 2013 at 6:32 pm Reply

Beautiful job! I don’t think I had your energy back when the kids were small….you are an
    inspiration!

• ai love baking August 17, 2013 at 4:20 am Reply

Thanks Val! I still feel like I need to catch-up with my sleep after last week :)

2. Kim McGinnis September 3, 2013 at 9:22 pm Reply

For the shoes, you made cupcakes and wafer cookies. But what is the bridge made from? I would like to use some of your ideas for our Coach Bag Bingo we are having to raise money for our High School band. Your work is incredibly impressive.

• ai love baking September 4, 2013 at 5:15 am Reply

Hi Kim! Thanks for the wonderful compliment! I originally had some graham crackers, but they seemed too heavy for the heel (wafer roll cookie). I wanted to use something lighter and decided to go with wafer cookies. I used a large flower cookie cutter to make the edges rounded and cut off the sides to even them out. Then I painted the soles using the same royal icing I used for the matching cookies. I then dipped the sides in sanding sugar to give them a sparkle. The only drawback with these wafer cookies is that when left out can become stale.

Both the wafer cookies and the roll wafer cookies I got from an Asian store. Both are very popular in the Asian community. I hope this helps. Email me at angela@ailovebaking.com if you have any further questions :)

• Grace November 4, 2013 at 2:56 am Reply

Love the cupcakes & cookies. Exactly what I’m looking for my daughter’s party. Question… how did you color the wafer roll (heel) or are they available in those colors?

• ai love baking November 5, 2013 at 4:11 am Reply

Hi Grace! Thanks for stopping by. Yes, amazingly they come in those colors. I found them at an Asian grocery store. The pink one is strawberry, green is pandan, and purple is ube or purple yam.

3. k. williamson October 21, 2013 at 7:43 pm Reply

yes love it all! but where can I buy the handbag cookies?

• ai love baking November 5, 2013 at 4:07 am Reply

Thanks K! I bought a cute handbag cookie cutter from Amazon.com and used a standard sugar cookie recipe. Hope this helps :)

4. Melinda April 7, 2014 at 5:04 pm Reply

I know this is an old post, but can you tell me the brands you used for the wafers and wafer rolls? Im trying to find these and can’t seem to find them anywhere. TY

• ai love baking April 23, 2014 at 4:45 pm Reply

Hi Melinda! I got both the wafer cookies and the wafer rolls from an Asian market called Island Pacific Supermarket. I believe it’s a chain supermarket in California. I am not sure of the brand. However, I think these are items usually stocked at a larger Asian store. Hope this helps :)

5. Sheri May 28, 2014 at 3:48 pm Reply

I love these. I have one question. Did you use the royal icing to attach the heel to the sole of the shoe? Thanks for sharing.

• ai love baking June 18, 2014 at 4:59 pm Reply

Hi Sheri! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I actually didn’t use any royal icing, but made a slight hole in the sole of the cookie so that the wafer or heel would fit snuggly. I did try the royal icing at first but it wouldn’t hold.

6. Sheri May 28, 2014 at 3:52 pm Reply

Sorry, one more question, did you pipe the frosting on and if so which tip did you use to make is so round? Thanks again.

• ai love baking June 18, 2014 at 5:04 pm Reply

No worries–I am happy to always answer questions. I made sure to use a cake recipe that would create the best “dome” tops. And I frosted it with just a regular off set spatula and dipped it in colored sugar.

7. LaurM June 2, 2014 at 6:39 pm Reply

How did you make the little flowers? Are they piped? And with what tip? Thanks! Love this! :0)

8. Sheri July 9, 2014 at 7:51 pm Reply

Thanks so much for responding to my questions. I have located the wafer rolls in all three colors but I cannot find the colored wafer for the soles. I am going to try to use an alternative. American wafers are too narrow so I was thinking about using rice krispie treats. Any thought; ideas?

• ai love baking July 10, 2014 at 6:27 pm Reply

Hi Sheri! You may have to do some trimming on the rice krispy treats so that they aren’t too heavy. The problem with these high heel cupcakes is getting the heel to stick and to find a “sole” that isn’t too heavy for the heel. I’ll have to revisit this post again and find ingredients that are easier to find lol!

9. Robin July 10, 2014 at 3:08 pm Reply

Love the beautiful cupcakes! I found the normal colors/flavor wafers of vanilla (white), strawberry(pink), and chocolate(brown) in my local market; didn’t have to order the bright colors you have. I’m going to try making them this weekend with the wafer and the Milano cookie (on sale and I have a coupon) lol. Anyway, my question is how far in advanced can I make the cookies? Normally, I’m into homemade everything, but by using coupons I have 4 free packages of cookie and brownie mix. The party I’m baking for is Saturday. However, I work full-time, so I was wondering if I can make cookies this evening, store and frost Saturday? Thanks in advance!

• ai love baking July 10, 2014 at 6:23 pm Reply

Hi Robin! Thank you for stopping by my blog. I am glad you found an online store that has those colored wafer roll cookies! Now I can give a link to anyone interested–thanks for sharing! Regarding the cookies, I’ve made them a week before in advance because of different colors I”ve had to use to decorate the cookies and let dry overnight. Once you have decorated the cookie and they are all dried, be sure to store them in an airtight container (large tupperware works). Hope this helps–email me at angela@ailovebaking.com if you have any further questions. I’ll see the email instantly before I see the comments left here and I know you have a party coming up this weekend :)

ai would love to hear from you!