edible fashion: high heel cupcakes and make-up and purse cookies

Aug 12

fashion_full_table_logo

I am so excited and somewhat fatigued to share with you this post!  Wait, fatigued?  Yes, but mostly excited.  Before the beginning of Summer, I had promised my daughter that she could have a special party since she got all A’s on her last report card.  Thinking she would forget . . . well let’s just say this post is proof she didn’t forget!  But definitely well-earned.  She’s a good kid and I am proud of all she’s accomplished.

Since I am not yet comfortable hosting a sleep over, we compromised and had an “Almost Sleep Over” party–meaning drop off early morning, pick-up late evening.  Brilliant right?!  Well the theme was even more brilliant until I sat down to think about what to bake.  My daughter is definitely past the princess and little girl stage, but not quite a big girl.  She loves fashion and dare I say is like her Mommy and loves shoes!  Oh well the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.  Speaking of Apple . . . September 10 . . . 5S?  Can’t wait.  Okay back to shoes.  A friend sent me a picture of high heel cupcake and I instantly fell in love.  It doesn’t get any better shoes/cupcakes.  Brilliant idea number 1 . . . hard work ahead!

Then I saw some cute lipstick, nail polish, and purse cookie cutters that I just had to make.  Brilliant idea number 2 . . . hard work x 3!

I’m blaming the fatigue on the hard work I put into making all of the above, which is the reason I am not posting any recipes or step-by-step directions.  This is another photos only post.  However, these were just so darn cute to make that I feel that I have quite a bit to share on what worked and what was a huge disaster.  But for now, please enjoy these photos as much as I had fun making them and photographing them.

I love shoes, but I LOVE purses even more.  Here are the purse cookies I made decorated with royal icing:

bags_logo

These lipstick and nail polish cookies were too cute:

makeup_blog_logo

Each shoe is color and design coordinated to match the cookies.  My daughter and I fondly named each set.

Here is Alayna Posh Purple:

fashion_purple_logo

This one is Gabby Girly Green: fashion_green_logo

And finally Cara Playful Pink:

fashion_pink_logo

To complete the table, I made some last-minute decorations that I thought were adorable!  I had leftover wafer roll cookies that were used for the heels on the cupcake shoes.  With Ball canning jars, ribbon, sprinkles, and the wafer cookies I had instant table decorations.  Aren’t these just perfect?

ball_jar_logo

So I’ve made up my mind, I will have to revisit how I made all of these in a future post or two.  But for now, please enjoy these photos and email me if you have any burning questions.  I’d be happy to answer.

Tagged: , , , , ,

Comments: 8

1. Val August 13, 2013 at 6:32 pm Reply

Beautiful job! I don’t think I had your energy back when the kids were small….you are an
    inspiration!

• ai love baking August 17, 2013 at 4:20 am Reply

Thanks Val! I still feel like I need to catch-up with my sleep after last week :)

2. Kim McGinnis September 3, 2013 at 9:22 pm Reply

For the shoes, you made cupcakes and wafer cookies. But what is the bridge made from? I would like to use some of your ideas for our Coach Bag Bingo we are having to raise money for our High School band. Your work is incredibly impressive.

• ai love baking September 4, 2013 at 5:15 am Reply

Hi Kim! Thanks for the wonderful compliment! I originally had some graham crackers, but they seemed too heavy for the heel (wafer roll cookie). I wanted to use something lighter and decided to go with wafer cookies. I used a large flower cookie cutter to make the edges rounded and cut off the sides to even them out. Then I painted the soles using the same royal icing I used for the matching cookies. I then dipped the sides in sanding sugar to give them a sparkle. The only drawback with these wafer cookies is that when left out can become stale.

Both the wafer cookies and the roll wafer cookies I got from an Asian store. Both are very popular in the Asian community. I hope this helps. Email me at angela@ailovebaking.com if you have any further questions :)

• Grace November 4, 2013 at 2:56 am Reply

Love the cupcakes & cookies. Exactly what I’m looking for my daughter’s party. Question… how did you color the wafer roll (heel) or are they available in those colors?

• ai love baking November 5, 2013 at 4:11 am Reply

Hi Grace! Thanks for stopping by. Yes, amazingly they come in those colors. I found them at an Asian grocery store. The pink one is strawberry, green is pandan, and purple is ube or purple yam.

3. k. williamson October 21, 2013 at 7:43 pm Reply

yes love it all! but where can I buy the handbag cookies?

• ai love baking November 5, 2013 at 4:07 am Reply

Thanks K! I bought a cute handbag cookie cutter from Amazon.com and used a standard sugar cookie recipe. Hope this helps :)

ai would love to hear from you!